Welcome to the Nebraska East Union Renovation Site!
In October 2018 the Nebraska East Union began a 2 year renovation project. The Nebraska East Union opened in 1977. Over the years the needs of East Campus have changed, which lead to this renovation of approximately $28.5 million. Highlights of this project include:
- 30% expansion of the Great Plains Room
- Dining is moving to the 1st Floor and will have expanded food and seating options for the whole campus community as well as those on meal plans.
- Bowling Center will be upgraded to expand the team space as well as enhance the Husker Experience for bowlers using the space.
- New Starbucks located at the new South Entrance connected to Legacy Plaza
- New and increased lounges and study rooms for building community
This page will be the location where you can find all the up to date information about the Nebraska East Union Renovation. From what areas will be closed to when your favorite area will reopen. Here you will find the links to all the video updates, photos from the project along with some thoughts from the Nebraska Unions Staff about how the project is moving along and what you can expect.
Follow us through the Grit of making your Nebraska East Union better with our successes and even our frustrations. Through this page we will even try to answer your questions with walk throughs with the contractors and show you weekly updates on what is happening behind the walls.
We want to thank you for your patience through this upgrade and hope you will see the Glory of the Renovated Nebraska East Union shine through in the Fall of 2020.
Week of March 11th Project Updates
- We decided to take advantage of the quieter building during Spring Break to get some temp walls built to speed up the transition into Phase II scheduled to begin on May 6th. The opening on the 3rd floor around the planters will be walled in next week, but an opening will be left at the stairs for access. This will push all furniture in about 2-3 feet, but will not interrupt any operations. Additionally, a temp wall will be built, but an opening will be left open in student involvement just after Meeting Room B to prepare for storage support for item that will need to relocate from the 2nd to 3rd floor during Phase II.
Nebraska East Union Video Updates
Click here to see all the new behind the scene videos from the Nebraska East Union Renovation
Phase 1: October 1 - End of Summer 2019
- 1st Floor
- Begin Work on Great Plains Room Expansion
- New Dining Facility
- Great Plains Room Expansion and Renovation (GPR Offline Beginning after 2019 Spring Commencement)
- Atrium and 2nd Floor
- All of 3rd Floor
- Bowling and Welcome Desk
Temporary Structure: Click Here.
Site Logistics: Click Here.
Renderings: Click Here.
Floor Plans: COMING SOON
Construction Project Meeting Notes
March 4, 2019: Click Here.
March 11, 2019: Click Here.