Welcome to the Nebraska East Union Renovation Site!
In October 2018 the Nebraska East Union began a 2 year renovation project. The Nebraska East Union opened in 1977. Over the years the needs of East Campus have changed, which lead to this renovation of approximately $28.5 million. Highlights of this project include:
- 30% expansion of the Great Plains Room
- Dining is moving to the 1st Floor and will have expanded food and seating options for the whole campus community as well as those on meal plans.
- Bowling Center will be upgraded to expand the team space as well as enhance the Husker Experience for bowlers using the space.
- New Starbucks located at the new South Entrance connected to Legacy Plaza
- New and increased lounges and study rooms for building community
This page will be the location where you can find all the up to date information about the Nebraska East Union Renovation. From what areas will be closed to when your favorite area will reopen. Here you will find the links to all the video updates, photos from the project along with some thoughts from the Nebraska Unions Staff about how the project is moving along and what you can expect.
Follow us through the Grit of making your Nebraska East Union better with our successes and even our frustrations. Through this page we will even try to answer your questions with walk throughs with the contractors and show you weekly updates on what is happening behind the walls.
We want to thank you for your patience through this upgrade and hope you will see the Glory of the Renovated Nebraska East Union shine through in the Fall of 2020.
Week of January 14th Project Updates
- The crane that is currently in the hole by the Great Plains Room is scheduled to move as soon as Tuesday evening in order to prevent disruptions due to the upcoming predicted snow.
- Beginning on January 21st, access to the loading dock will be closed between 8:00am and 3:30pm daily. Please have all deliveries during that timeframe use the North Entrance and passenger elevator. For larger load-in requests at the dock during those hours, please contact Nebraska East Union reservations or Andy Smriga.
- Great Plains Room concrete work continues and by the end of January the walls of the expansion will be poured.
- Steel columns for the Great Plains Room expansion were successfully placed on Monday.
- The old West entrance demo continues.
- Please anticipate an increase in noise on the roof above 3rd floor due to penthouse expansion work.
- Lines and electrical installation in the new kitchen on 1st floor work will begin in the near future.
Nebraska East Union Video Updates
Click here to see all the new behind the scene videos from the Nebraska East Union Renovation
Phase 1A: October 1 - End of Summer 2019
- 1st Floor
- Begin Work on Great Plains Room Expansion
- New Dining Facility
- Bowling and Atrium
- Great Plains Room Expansion (GPR Offline Beginning after 2019 Spring Commencement)
- All of 2nd Floor
- All of 3rd Floor
Temporary Structure: Click Here.
Site Logistics: Click Here.
Renderings: Click Here.
Floor Plans: COMING SOON
Construction Project Meeting Minutes
January 8, 2019: Click Here.
December 17, 2018: Click Here.
December 10, 2018: Click Here.
December 3, 2018: Click Here.
November 26, 2018: Click Here.
November 12, 2018: Click Here.
November 5, 2018: Click Here.
October 22, 2018: Click Here.
October 15, 2018: Click Here.
October 8, 2018: Click Here.
October 1, 2018: Click Here.
September 26, 2018: Click Here.