Welcome to the Nebraska East Union Renovation Site!
In October 2018 the Nebraska East Union began a 2 year renovation project. The Nebraska East Union opened in 1977. Over the years the needs of East Campus have changed, which lead to this renovation of approximately $28.5 million. Highlights of this project include:
- 30% expansion of the Great Plains Room
- Dining is moving to the 1st Floor and will have expanded food and seating options for the whole campus community as well as those on meal plans.
- Bowling Center will be upgraded to expand the team space as well as enhance the Husker Experience for bowlers using the space.
- New Starbucks located at the new South Entrance connected to Legacy Plaza
- New and increased lounges and study rooms for building community
This page will be the location where you can find all the up to date information about the Nebraska East Union Renovation. From what areas will be closed to when your favorite area will reopen. Here you will find the links to all the video updates, photos from the project along with some thoughts from the Nebraska Unions Staff about how the project is moving along and what you can expect.
Follow us through the Grit of making your Nebraska East Union better with our successes and even our frustrations. Through this page we will even try to answer your questions with walk throughs with the contractors and show you weekly updates on what is happening behind the walls.
We want to thank you for your patience through this upgrade and hope you will see the Glory of the Renovated Nebraska East Union shine through in the Fall of 2020.
Week of May 14th Project Updates
*** Beginning on Monday, May 20th, please anticipate loud construction noise that will last for approximately the next 3 weeks while concrete is removed from the 2nd and 3rd floors. ***
- We are currently under a steam outage this week and will not have hot water.
- Phase II began on May 6th
- The 2nd floor has been cleared out and demo is well underway.
- Great Plains Room is shut down for renovation and expansion until Spring semester of 2020.
- The 3rd floor access via the main stairs is closed off and a construction wall is up that closes off the 1st floor stairs. The side door at the North entrance has a handle allowing access entering and exiting the 3rd floor. Elevator access to the 3rd floor will remain an option as well, but both elevators will have work done to them over the summer and will be shut down for roughly a month each. The dates are currently being finalized.
- There are currently no food options available in the building.
- The ATM’s temporary relocation was delayed, but should be on the 1ST floor in the next week.
- Union Crossing is closed permanently and there is not a temporary welcome desk. Please call 402-472-9633 for assistance.
- Roofers are mobilizing to begin roofing the mechanical penthouse beginning Monday.
- Great Plains Room steel is currently being erected and should all be done by mid next week.
- Air barriers are for the mechanical penthouse and Great Plains Room are currently being added.
- 2nd floor framing should begin around the 29th.
- Great progress is being made on the 1st Floor. A new “Behind the Wall” video was posted last week to our renovation website.
Nebraska East Union Video Updates
Click here to see all the new behind the scene videos from the Nebraska East Union Renovation
Phase 1: October 1 - Fall Semester 2019
- 1st Floor
- Begin Work on Great Plains Room Expansion
- New Dining Facility
- Great Plains Room Expansion and Renovation (GPR Offline Beginning after 2019 Spring Commencement)
- Atrium and 2nd Floor
- All of 3rd Floor
- Bowling and Welcome Desk
Temporary Structure: Click Here.
Site Logistics: Click Here.
Renderings: Click Here.
Temporary Building Access Map: Click Here.
Floor Plans: COMING SOON
Construction Project Meeting Notes
May 14, 2019: Click Here.
April 29, 2019: Click Here.
April 15, 2019: Click Here.
April 1, 2019: Click Here.
March 18, 2019: Click Here.
March 11, 2019: Click Here.
March 4, 2019: Click Here.