Welcome to the Nebraska East Union Renovation Site!
In October 2018 the Nebraska East Union began a 2 year renovation project. The Nebraska East Union opened in 1977. Over the years the needs of East Campus have changed, which lead to this renovation of approximately $28.5 million. Highlights of this project include:
- 30% expansion of the Great Plains Room
- Dining is moving to the 1st Floor and will have expanded food and seating options for the whole campus community as well as those on meal plans.
- Bowling Center will be upgraded to expand the team space as well as enhance the Husker Experience for bowlers using the space.
- New Starbucks located at the new South Entrance connected to Legacy Plaza
- New and increased lounges and study rooms for building community
This page will be the location where you can find all the up to date information about the Nebraska East Union Renovation. From what areas will be closed to when your favorite area will reopen. Here you will find the links to all the video updates, photos from the project along with some thoughts from the Nebraska Unions Staff about how the project is moving along and what you can expect.
Follow us through the Grit of making your Nebraska East Union better with our successes and even our frustrations. Through this page we will even try to answer your questions with walk throughs with the contractors and show you weekly updates on what is happening behind the walls.
We want to thank you for your patience through this upgrade and hope you will see the Glory of the Renovated Nebraska East Union shine through in the Fall of 2020.
Week of August 5th Project Updates
*** Beginning on Monday, May 20th, please anticipate loud construction noise that will last for approximately the next 3 weeks while concrete is removed from the 2nd and 3rd floors. ***
- Kitchen tile installation is complete.
- Just finishing up stainless steel installation.
- Painting is currently taking place.
- Cabinets, equipment, and countertops are scheduled to arrive for installation on the 19th.
- They are wrapping up store front installations.
- Ceiling grid and tile is scheduled to start installation this week.
- Epoxy flooring and fiber wall covers in back of house kitchen areas will start next week.
- The steel and metal decking is wrapping up on the elevation expansion on the 2nd floor outside of the Great Plains Room.
- Concrete slab is being poured under Great Plain Room for the new mechanical room.
- Electrical and mechanical is being installed in the ceiling.
Other Building Items
- Roofing continues to move along over the existing sections of the building.
- Passenger elevator work continues and the inspection is scheduled for Thursday.
- Corner Deli Express is open outside of Lanes ‘n Games on the 1st floor.
Nebraska East Union Video Updates
Click here to see all the new behind the scene videos from the Nebraska East Union Renovation
Phase 1: October 1 - Fall Semester 2019
- 1st Floor
- Begin Work on Great Plains Room Expansion
- New Dining Facility
- Great Plains Room Expansion and Renovation (GPR Offline Beginning after 2019 Spring Commencement)
- Atrium and 2nd Floor
- All of 3rd Floor
- Bowling and Welcome Desk
Temporary Structure: Click Here.
Site Logistics: Click Here.
Renderings: Click Here.
Temporary Building Access Map: Click Here.
Floor Plans: COMING SOON
Construction Project Meeting Notes
August 5, 2019: Click Here.
July 22, 2019: Click Here.
June 24, 2019: Click Here.
June 10, 2019: Click Here.
May 27, 2019: Click Here.
May 14, 2019: Click Here.
April 29, 2019: Click Here.
April 15, 2019: Click Here.
April 1, 2019: Click Here.
March 18, 2019: Click Here.
March 11, 2019: Click Here.
March 4, 2019: Click Here.